Although I am quite the advocate for overflowing spoonfuls of Nutella as a legitimate snack, there are some pretty cool things you can also do with it. If you’re looking for an easy brunch item, these Nutella French Toast Rollups are the perfect blend between guest appropriate and self-satisfying.
Sliced Bread (I use Villagio because it’s fluffy)
Choice Fruit (I suggest strawberries)
3 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
Butter (for greasing the pan)
Maple syrup (dipping)
- Trim the crust from the bread and flatten it out with a rolling pin.
- Spread a thin layer of Nutella over the piece of bread, and add a line of fruit of your choice (I suggest strawberries) to the top edge.
- Roll the bread up and repeat until they’re all filled.
- Whisk egg and milk in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Heat a skillet on medium and melt a tablespoon of butter.
- Add the rolls to the egg coating and roll until all sides are covered.
- Put the rolls seam side down on the pan and turn until browned all over.
- Place hot rolls in the cinnamon sugar mixture and roll until covered.
- Serve on a plate, dusted in icing sugar with maple syrup for dipping (or some more melted Nutella)
For an interesting twist, replace the line of fruit with a strip of already fried bacon for a sweet and salty treat 🍽.